Tuesday, August 02, 2011

oh, Antartica - ice sculptures

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  











I've been thinking a lot about my trip to Antartica lately, especially with the temps what they've been.
I'm fascinated by this continent and read and watch everything I can on this treacherous, luminous, awe-inspiring land. It's inspired me to look back through my photo's at one of my favorite parts of the journey - 
the Stunning ice sculptures. They rise up from the water in every direction refracting sunlight and creating sublime views. We were able to take our zodiacs to tour through mazes of these sculptures, sometimes majestic, sometimes slowly melting away and disappearing into the sea. As an artist interested in the details of things, I was especially enthralled when we were able to get up close enough to see the details - striations, dips, seemingly chiseled masses of ice/snow + drips falling from the underbelly's as they melted in the sun.

Now that i'm seriously wanderlusting as I reflect on this trip, I can't help but share some incredible photo's of the wildlife tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. amazing! now i want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photo but a place is a bit scary for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! how incredible!! what a trip, i would love to go one day..

    and those animal above are so cute!

    ReplyDelete